Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Everybody Loves Eddie

My son started to speak his first words over the last few days. When he was first born, I figured it would be something dramatic like suddenly calling out "Dada" or "Mama". Our "Super Nanny" has also been trying hard to get him to say "Auntie" and because of that, I hear it repeated so many times in a day that everytime the word "Auntie" comes up, I feel my stomach flip. But in spite of the repeated "Auntie.... Auntie... Auntie.... Auntie..." and my wife's attempts at getting our little fella to recognise his "Dada", the first words out of his mouth were.... *drum roll, please* ... "Eddie"!

We're beaming with "pride". *sigh*

I guess it was our incessant yelling at our dog that result in this blunder. So, everything is "Eddie" now. His caterpillar soft toy is "Eddie". Even the decorative statue of Buddha that graces our home is "Eddie". Of course, the little lad has his own way of saying it... "Edjeee".

Speaking of Edjeee, my dear pal has lived with us exactly 5 years today. I remember that day fondly. Since then, we've gone through a great deal together. I watched the puny little puppy grow up into a handsome dog with Einstien's brilliance, Ronaldo's ball skills and an attitude only suitable for a Rottweiler. He stuck by me through some really tough times - chronic illness and even my father's passing. He also shared in the happy times too - like when my son was born. He'd appear to stand guard while my wife fed our newborn and would come running to us in a panic when he started to cry in his crib. Eddie's like the perfect best friend you could ever imagine.

Eddie is loved by everyone - both family and friends. I get emails from colleagues at work asking "How's Eddie?" and calls to our home are of the same nature. My Uncle will ask me to send his regards to Eddie (and Casey, of course) whenever he calls. It is only after enquiring about our doggies that I get "How are you doing?"

As for my son's first word, I am going to pass "Edjeee" off as him trying to say "Dajeee" (aka "Daddy"). That'll work, right?? *wink*

Here's a picture of Eddie on the first day he arrived at our home 5 years ago.


Happy 5th Anniversary, my buddy!! We love you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

soooooooooo cute =D

ur little guy is saying words now and the cutest edjeee ever

Eddie is indeed a great pal more than just a dog...i am sure he is so cuz of the loving home environment...its so cute how he used to call u guys when prem junior cries

and yah i will take the edjee as a dajeee....very close...who really knows what ur little one is trying to say right....could be both

you know whats funny prem....my 15 month old still doesnt say mama...he always calles me papa!!

say hi to ur wife and lil one...and of course cant forget eddie :)

Shwaish said...

looooooool yeah yeah it sounds the same alright hehehehe and thats so cute, well thats kidz for ya, my brothers first word was erleena!! imagine he couldnt say dada or mama or watever, he says elleeena hehhehehe

ohh eddie is cute!

eshda3wa said...

thats the cutest thing ever!

im sure his next words are gna be daddy :)

god bless

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

eddie is truly a great friend and a very loving member of our family. you should really see him catch a ball in mid-air or dribble one around the house. you'd swear that in his last life, he was a footballer. ;)

your 15 month old calls you papa? i guess now we know who's boss! just kidding. at this age, i think they just repeat words they hear frequently without being able to associate it with anything. just like this morning, my son was gripping my nose and saying edjeee!

will definitely convey my regards to all at home here. please do the same from all of us here to your lovely family too! :)

The Premster said...

hi princess,

what does erleena mean? is it someone's name? but for him to be able to pronounce something as complicated (for a baby) as that... impressive. it doesn't sound like "edjeee" is going to become "eddie" anytime soon.

will pass on your kind comment to his royal cuteness. thanks!! :)

The Premster said...

hi esada3wa,

as i was leaving home today, i said "bye bye" to him and his new response was "ma ma ma ma".

not sure if he was trying to pronounce "bye bye" or if he was looking for his mummy. ;)

Shwaish said...

erleena was our housekeeper!

The Premster said...

hi princess,

i think both your brother and dev just picked up the name they hear the most frequently!

:)