Thursday, January 11, 2007

Super Nanny

"Good help is hard to find these days" is a common phrase heard regularly. I hear horror stories about foreign domestic help through friends who have them and when it was time for my wife and I to seek one, we were worried sick.

"Will she look after the baby well?", "Will she be able to cook?", "Will she practice good hygiene?", "Will she cause us problems?", "Will she spit in our soup if she's pissed with us?" were a few of at least a thousand questions we tossed around before we visited a couple of agencies. We picked one based on her resume and she arrived at our doorstep exactly a week before our son made his dramatic entrance into the world.

And how did our domestic helper turn out? She was good! She cooked well, swept and mopped our home everyday and other than the occassional monetary problems back home which resulting in her asking for advance salary, we grew to trust her to be independent.

But when it came to my son, I think she is way too "good". You see, due to my work schedule, I have the unique opportunity to spend time with him during the day while my wife was working. When I wake up, I find our domestic helper playing with Dev or singing odd sounding kiddy songs. Maybe it's the accent. But when I asked to take over and spend time with him, she hands him over, rushes off to the kitchen and soon returns with a bottle and calls out "Dev!! Feeding time" or "Dev! Diaper changing time" armed with a diaper or "Dev! Bath time!". So, even though I spend a good part of the day home, I have a total of about 15 minutes with my little boy.


So much for good help.

4 comments:

Danah said...

why don't you talk to her about it? tell her that you'd like to do those things yourself every once in a while:)

Dakhtour said...

I'm with dandoon... No need to hide this.. Talk and tell her about spending and doing more things

Hehe i guess she's really super which a great thing but in ur case she's a bad one ;)

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

same advice my wife gave me when i texted her today. makes sense. will be enforced with effect on monday.

went to dev's room today to 'relieve' him from the maid's 'clutches' and was playing with him for 15 minutes before i saw her standing from afar waving a bottle filled with milk trying to get his attention!! :(

The Premster said...

hi zizo,

the problem here is - it's a fine line. i want her to be responsible and look after my son well and not get the wrong impression that he can be 'farmed' out as soon as i'm up.

she's a zealous domestic helper but i think she's crowding the kid a little too much. although the blog entry was written tongue-in-cheek, my wife and i do have concerns.

thanks for the advice!