Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Strange Day


Today was a strange day - in a good way, that is.

I didn't get much sleep to begin with and by the time I was out of bed, I had only clocked about 4 hours of shut-eye. I had to go out early because I had some arrangements to make in preparation for my father's first death anniversary prayers. According to our custom, the first death anniversary is the most important and special rituals should be performed.

I went down to the temple and met with a staff who helped with the arrangements. He gave me a list of things to buy and since the prayers will be held day after tomorrow and some of the items are perishables, I decided I'd go get them tomorrow instead.

Since I had already lost sleep and was out and about, I decided to get my car stereo fixed. It was getting a little screwy and appeared to have a mind of its own. The 'on' button became the 'volume down' button, the 'input source' button became the 'off' button and so forth. Operating it was a game of chance and since its display wasn't working either, you wouldn't know what station you were on or what CD or track it was playing from the changer.

Getting back to the point. Since I had sent this unit in for repairs for the exact symptoms previously (paid a bomb for repairs and waited 3 months for the job to be done), I figured getting a new one would be worthwhile. So, I picked one out (with my wife's over-the-phone blessings) and they proceeded to install it. You would think that something like this would actually excite me. But it didn't. At that moment, an over-powering urge to be with my son came over me. I don't know why but that's exactly how I felt.

So, after hurrying the technicians repeatedly, I hopped in my car and rushed home. And when I came through the door, there he was - flashing his toothless grin at me as I entered. We spent a good 20 minutes together 'chatting' until our domestic helper came with his milk bottle again! Anyway, he did appear hungry so I handed him over.

I've always felt a bond with my son. But I never felt that bond as strong as it was today. Maybe, preparing for my father's death anniversary reiterated my need to always be there for my son - like my father was for me.

It was a strange day. But it was nice.

1 comments:

The Premster said...

will do. thanks, vanessa!! :)