Friday, April 20, 2007

Birthday Blog


"Things That Fill My Head" is one year old today!

I never imagined that I would ever take blogging seriously as I figured it was more for the "new generation" out there and not for an old fogey like myself. To be honest, among the bloggers that I know, I'd have to be the oldest with an age deficit of at least 10 years! So, having a blog was never on my mind.

In January 2006, my father passed away. I struggled to come to terms with his demise. Till today, I am still struggling. Words spoken by my father and images of him haunted my mind every day. I knew I'd never get over my father's death no matter how long I live but I needed a way to manage my thoughts, feelings and memories before it got the better of me.

I remembered my father used to spend weekends penning his thoughts and feelings in a notebook (the paper kind). He even had one titled "My Worries". I figured that by offloading his worries into the notebook, it lightened the load on his mind. My father was a man who managed his thoughts and feelings very well and this was probably one of his "tricks".

Ok, I'll put my thoughts into words. But where? Then, the idea of a blog came up. So, I reviewed a few blog hosting services out there and within an hour, decided on Blogger. All I wanted to do was to find a simple way to put my thoughts into words. After all, I was certain no one would come across, let alone read, my blog - especially in a community as huge as Blogger. I picked a user name, after multiple tries (pratically all variations of "Prem" I could think off were taken!), and started on my first entry - one dedicated to my beloved father. It felt like the most appropriate thing to write about.

With my eyes glazing over, I sat at my desk and wrote about the man I loved and respected the most in my life. As the words flowed, so did the tears. Images and stories long forgotten came flooding back. A few lines quickly became a few paragraphs and before I knew it, my first entry was done. Honestly, I felt good talking about my father openly - even though no one was listening - or so I thought.

The next day, I checked my blog and found "1 Comment". Was someone reading? I quickly clicked on it and found a spammer (the comment is still there - just for laughs)! Oh well, better 1 meaningless "comment" than nothing at all. Next, I went on to write about my two doggies. I was not expecting anymore visitors, spammers or otherwise, but I checked back to find "royalty" had graced my blog with her visit. Princess, who used to go by the name Sparkling Princess, came by and posted a lovely comment about my dogs as well as to offer her condolences for my loss. I thought it was very sweet and thanks to her, I found my way to other honest and beautifully written blogs. Since then, unseen bloggers have become invaluable friends as we share our lives with each other. Even my wife talks about you guys as if we've been good friends for ages.

So, on this 1st birthday of "Things That Fill My Head", I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to Princess, Zizo, Dandoon, Vanessa, Ghasheema and last but not least Eshda3wa for making me feel very welcome in the blogging world and allowing me to share my life with you as you have shared yours with me. I am also very appreciative of my lovely wife who is very supportive of her husband's blog and my little boy for giving me something to write about.

Its been a fantastic year blogging! I look forward to more of them.

Cheers!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy blogvirsary :)

I can honestly say...reading your blog is a joy

out of most of the blogs I visit..you always have something to talk about..and issue...whether its about ur personal life or the public in general....you have done a great job blogging..and ur contributions to the blog world deserve all the respect.

I wish peace and serenity for both you and your beloved father :)

My heart was smiling when i read ur thanks for ur fellow bloggers...

All the best to you prem and to mrs prem and prem junior :)

and of course am not gonna forget eddie and casey =D

p.s. nice new look prem...the new year make-over :P

eshda3wa said...

happy blog birthday!

you are a wonderful addition to the blog world

every post you have written i have enjoyed

you should see the smile i have on my face when reading my name

and i needed to smile (taking a break from studying)

thank you prem!

all the best to you and your lovely wife

take care and hope for many happy entries to come

The Premster said...

thank you, ghasheema - not just for your wishes but for your kind words.

i never really thought about blogging, let alone being a serious blogger, but look what happened a year down the road!

what makes a great blogger? i'll have to say without a doubt that it is the visitors to your blog. if i didn't have any visitors, i think this blog would have been abandoned months ago. all of you kept me going with your comments of encouragement and now when something happens, there's always this urgency to share it with "the world". moreover, reading everyone's blog has made me realise that the visitors here are people who write creatively and honestly. this has spured me to write well.

because of this, my thanks to you and the other great bloggers is heartfelt.

thank you again, ghasheema! please convey our very best to your lovely family! :)

The Premster said...

thank you very much, eshda3wa!

i am very touched by what you've said. i really don't know if i've lived up to the high standards that you've described but nevertheless, i am grateful that you feel that way.

all the best with your studies, eshda3wa! and if my blog starts to bore you, here's something just for you...

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/television/television_l-p/prison_break.html

;)

Anonymous said...

prem :/

not only do I not check my spelling when I type..but I also dont proof read it be4 I post...and that goes for both my posts (sometimes I do edit) and mostly for teh comments I leave...so if visiting creative blogs encouraged you to write better....then I dont know why its not making me improve my writting skills lol

Danah said...

happy blogaversary prem!:)

The Premster said...

creative writing does not refer to good spelling or grammar, ghasheema. it is how the story, idea or rant *wink* is conveyed.

when one keeps coming back to your blog to read, it says something about your entries. i enjoy and appreciate reading creative and honest blogs... and that's why i'm a regular visitor (and huge fan) to your home in cyberspace! :)

The Premster said...

thank you, dandoon!! :)

Unknown said...

hello...no thank you needed :)

Pls keep blogging ok... this will have to replace our 6 o'clock meetings for a while!! *HUGS*

The Premster said...

definitely, vanessa!!