Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Good Day

I had a a good day!

With the stress I've been feeling over the last few weeks, today was a breath of fresh air.

My closest friend, W, and I hung out at one of our favourite haunts - Funan The IT Mall - just like the old days. We had a couple of "much needed" things to get, so we "justified" the trip and the expenditure.

W and I met when we were doing our National Service in a high security facility. I was placed in charge of him when he was just a recruit and truthfully, I didn't like him. He looked like a young punk out to stir trouble. I actually protested (in front of W) to my Officer-In-Charge and asked to assign him to someone else. But as the old adage proclaims - do not judge a book by its cover. W turned out to be quite a likeable character. On top of his cheerful personality, he was brilliant! When he graduated from vocational studies prior to enlisting, he finished in the top 10% of all vocational students in Singapore. That's impressive, by my standards!

While others generally complain about their compulsary two and a half year National Service stint, W and I had a fantastic time there! We went through a great deal together and were usually at the centre of many very interesting "events" and "controversies". Many of these are "classified" and so I can't share them openly. But we always have a good chuckle when we talk about them.

After our NS stint, I went on to pursue Electronics and Computer Engineering and a year later, W joined me at the same institution to pursue Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. After graduating, I joined the company I am still working for (its been 13 years) and W joined me in the same department 6 months later. He's still here as well but is now attached to a different area of work in a different centre.

One of our favourite past times over the weekend, back when we were both single and very available, was to meet up, catch a movie, grab some dinner and then chill out with a cup or two of Spinelli's ice blended coffee lamenting about girlfriends, broken relationships and whether we'd ever settle down. We both had rough relationships in the past so we feel very blessed to have found wonderful life partners. Our wives are now good friends too! And... our sons were born just three weeks apart with my little boy leading the duo.

Work and family commitments resulted in us placing huge voids, sometimes up to a year, between our "guys hang-out" session. But when we do meet up, like today, it was as though we last met a few days ago. We shared jokes from the good ol' days, argued about politics and work issues and dared each other to make huge IT purchases with "I'll buy if you buy". We'd usually chicken out after the whole hoo-ha. Today's dare? A S$3000 laptop!

So what did we actually dare buy? We got a 500GB hard disk for me, a box of mini DV tapes each, a DVD burner drive for W and a spool of 100 blank DVDs which we split equally.

Although I feel guilty about not spending time with my little boy today, I really think I needed this "break".

Thanks W, I had a great time!

10 comments:

Shwaish said...

if u felt u needed then the break then u deserved it, and u can always make up the time with dev, im glad u had a great day :D

The Premster said...

thank you, princess!

i do hope dev understands though. haven't really had much time to spend with the little fella. feeling quite bad about it.

Anonymous said...

your post truly put a smile on my face...I am so happy for u prem :D

such a friendship is very very rare nowadays

I dont wanna jinx you *knocks on wood* but its true....and I think you should remember such relationship when your feeling down and over stressed....u will remember that u are truly blessed my friend, for having a friend like W and a lovely wife and a beautiful son :)

and dont feel bad about not spending time with ur lil fella...you have all the time in the world for him...GOD bless him :)

Unknown said...

it is bugging me... i cant work out who W is!!!!

eshda3wa said...

glad u had such a great time!

and theres no need for guilt!

taking some time off for yourself is a must, and believe me u did ur son a favour by taking a much needed break to come back to him happier and rejuvinated

The Premster said...

i have to agree about what you said about friendships, ghasheema. its rare to have a close friend like w.

and yes, i do realised that i am blessed in many ways.... not just with a great family and a good friend but also with a fantastic group of blogging buddies!!

going to take some time off from work to spend time with him next week.

have a good weekend!!

The Premster said...

hi vanessa,

you've met him and his wife at my place.

they definitely know you! :)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

i never realised that i would actually feel guilty about not spending time with a child. i guess it comes naturally especially when its your own.

thanks for the encouragement!

have a good weekend, ya?? :)

Danah said...

glad u had a good time!

The Premster said...

thanks, dandoon! :)