Friday, March 09, 2007

Numbers And The Nanny


About two months ago, I blogged about our domestic helper from the Philippines. She was the Super Nanny we had hoped for when we were "maid hunting" just before our son was born. She was not perfect but we felt she was alright in comparison to the horror stories we've heard.

It turns out that she is even more "super" than I had given her credit for. Through my wife, I found out that she frequently gets dreams about numbers (not the TV show) back when she was in the Philippines and when she betted on them through their local lottery, she'd win. I guess her winnings weren't sufficient - for her to be here working as a domestic helper.

Anyway, it appears that she is getting these nocturnal numeric visions again. This morning, as a result of my insomnia for over a month, I was at my computer and my wife came in to enquire about playing the lottery in Singapore. I shared what little I knew about it but thought it was odd for my wife to be enquiring about gambling. It was only after probing that I found out my son's care-giver wanted my wife to place a bet on some numbers she dreamt of.

I was annoyed and I shared my displeasure with (more like unloaded on) my wife when she called me this evening to ask if she could still make it for today's lottery draw. The lack of sleep didn't help, of course. What really angered me was just a couple of weeks ago, our domestic helper had asked for the coming month's salary in advance because her family was in "dire need". Now, she is gambling with it? It is a small bet no doubt but wouldn't every dollar go a long way when you're in "dire need", especially considering the currency conversion?

If lady-luck is shining upon her, she'd take her winnings and go back to the Philippines and live like a queen, leaving my wife, my son and I in the lurch. From this, I know that in spite of our care and concern for her well-being, she's the least bothered about us or my son, who appears to be relatively attached to her. Her apparent heartfelt promises of wanting to fulfill her 2-year contract faithfully when we interviewed her will be tossed aside without a care, like the diapers she helps change daily. After all, she will then be much richer than her employer!

I told my wife "Its like she asked you to go buy a gun for her. You buy it, bring it home to her and she shoots you with it."

How would she feel if we struck the jackpot and told her we no longer needed her services now that we can afford to send our son to a top-notch exclusive day-care centre - especially at a time when her family was severe financial need?

In the end, no matter how much she claims she adores our little boy or how much she says she loves playing and laughing with him, it is just a means to an end - a job. There really isn't any genuine affection for the little fella.

Maybe I'm just too naive but I expected more from someone who was caring for our son.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your nanny has a bad habit...thats what it seems to me....she just cant set her priorities straight...she can do whatever she wants with her salary...as long as she is doing all whats required to get it

As for myself :/

I have a phobia of nannies!!

After all I have seen on TV about nannies torturing lil children...my heart was crushed!

I only trust government supervised daycare....and its free...gotta love the Canadian government ;D

The Premster said...

you read my mind, ghasheema! why?

both my wife and i have phobias of nannies too. and this is the result of hearing horror stories through friends and the media. and believe it or not, when i got home last night, i setup a webcam in my living room to monitor my home situation when we're not around. call it a nanny-cam, if you will.

this situation is really upsetting my poor wife - and that makes me angry.

free government supervised daycare?? wow! you'll never hear anything being "free" here. please convey my love to the canadian government. free daycare and snow... what more could anyone ask for?? ;)

Shwaish said...

hmmm well i think thats just expected, i mean i wouldnt think that our help really cares abt us or anything,its only thier job just because they live with us doesnt mean they care!

Anonymous said...

thats so scary @@

omg I really hope ur lil one is okay and no damage was done.....

I dont know wht to say really....Such matters make me nervous...why dont ppl do their job...its not only a job for the nanny...she is also taking care of an individual who might make a an achievement to humans lives when he is grown up that might have an impact on her life but thats only if she managees to nurture him well meaning he grows up healthy both physically and mentally...

I really hope the situation ws not as bad as i think it is

my regards to ur wife and ur baby

eshda3wa said...

u should set up a camera n every corner of ur house if ur leaving ur child with a stranger.
my aunt did and found out her nanny was hitting her 14month old baby when she starts crying!
it was horryfing!
i hope nothing like that ever happenes to anyone

ghasheema
lucky u wallah!

The Premster said...

hi princess,

actually, i know its just a job for her and she really does not need to "care" for my wife and i. but i do expect her to care for my little boy. there are many things in terms of chores that we let her "get away" with because we want her to devote proper attention to our son and not use chores as an excuse should something happen to him when he was unattended.

*sigh*

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

i am happy to say that no damage is done. i am praying that it stays that way.

people like this make me very nervous. they're in one job but they keep their eyes on something else.

it is in everyone's nature to want to be rich but a commitment is a commitment. i wouldn't leave my job even if god blessed me with a million dollars. seriously! there are parts of my job i dislike but as i said, i made a commitment.

you know, what princess said above is frightening but very right. she may live with us but it does not mean she cares. the thing is, it appears my wife cares for her more than my son's nanny cares for her job. just last weekend, it was her birthday and my wife timed our little boy's first trip to the zoo to coincide with the birthday! seriously speaking, my wife needn't have bothered.

i dont approve of people who treat domestic helpers like slaves but sometimes, i think being overly kind to them puts us at a disadvantage. :(

will pass on your regards to my wife and little boy. thank you!

The Premster said...

oh my god, eshda3wa!!

that is TERRIBLE!! your aunt's nanny should be shot! i really do hope your aunt reported her to the authorities and she has been punished adequetely.

so, i guess the general concensus is clear - a domestic helper / maid will never have any true care or concern for her charge.

it is a sad sad world we live in.