Monday, March 12, 2007

Ode To My Rides

To all the cars I've owned before
That travelled in and out my garage doors
I'm glad I drove them all
I dedicate this song
To all the cars I've owned before

1987 Honda Integra : Owned 1987 - 1997

1990 Mazda Astina : Owned 1997 - 1999

1990 Honda CRX : Owned 1997 - 1997

1982 Honda Accord : Owned 1999 - 2001

1991 Nissan Sunny : Owned 2001 - 2003

and...


2003 Subaru Impreza : Owned 2003 - Present

I've been thinking a lot about car ownership lately. The thing is, I turn 38 in about 6 months time and it dawned upon me that I don't have much time left to own all the cars I'd love to own. Add to the fact that the cost of car ownership in Singapore is ridiculous, it seems like by the time I can actually afford to own my next car (read: Mitsubishi Evolution), I might just be too old to drive it.

All things considered, I will have to think very carefully before I purchase my next car. It has to be something I really want (not a compromise) but most importantly, I must be able to afford it. I do have my little boy to think about. He's going to med school, you know. That's the only way I'm ever going to get my final car - a Porsche 911 - as a father's day present. *wink*

No pressure at all, son. No pressure at all....

So, it looks like my Subaru Impreza and I will remain united for a long time to come. Fortunately for me, I love "her" very much!

PS. The pictures above are not pictures of my actual cars. They depict the models that I've owned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

meowwwwwwwwww

I love ur current car

I would NEVER EVER drive it...or even be a passenger in it...but race cars fascinate me =D


The car u got after the black beauty is a real drag @@

I cant imagine how u felt driving such a car after the blackie :D

Personally I hate driving...I only drive when its a MUST....I always tell my car...if we co-operate we will both arrive safe and in one piece

Driving brings back bad memories :(

eshda3wa said...

awwwww
emotional attachment to vehicals

hopefully one day ur son will get u ur fathers day present

as for me, i hate cars, driving, and anything to do with the road

very happy being car-less

The Premster said...

my impreza thanks you for your kind compliment about her. :)

i'll try to take a nice shot of her and post it here soon. ;)

you're absolutely right. the accord was truly a drag to drive. to me, it is a reminder of how bad things got for my dad and i. but in its defense, it did try its best to serve us well even though it was in the workshop for repairs every month.

i'm surprised that you dislike driving. but i guess if it brings back bad memories, then you're not to be faulted. personally, i love driving. i love the feel of the car, the wind in my face (with the windows rolled down, that is) and the growl of the engine.

and yes, you have to talk to your car. i do all the time, much to my wife's amusement. as long as the two of you understand each other, you'll be fine.

hope to see a picture of your ride, if possible. :)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

i know its strange. lots of people think so too. but to me, cars seem to have a sprit / soul too. some days, they feel like they want to break the speed record. other days, they just want to cruise leisurely and no matter how much your stomp on the accelerator, they won't go.

oh dear, i hope you haven't had a bad encounter on the roads for you to hate driving. i love driving and am happy to do it anytime.

everyone should have a car. :)