Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pooches And Pennies


I've always said dogs are as smart, if not smarter, than humans. I've come to realise this especially from my two doggies, Eddie and Casey.

Eddie loves his orange squeak ball with which he eats, sleeps and even doo-doos. And when he knows my wife and I are free (he never bothers us when we're busy), he'll leave the ball by our side and wait patiently at a distance for us to throw it. The thing is, he catches it with extreme accuracy no matter how fast or slow the ball is thrown. He picked up this feat all by himself and it makes us so proud when visitors come by.

Eddie won't leave the ball unattended even for a minute. Obsessive? I'd have to say yes. The strange thing is, Casey figured this out too! And whenever she gets an opportunity, she'll take the ball away from him and that will put Eddie into a huge frenzy. He chases her around the house trying to get it back and she taunts and avoids him so perfectly like she has a strategy in her head. We watch in awe - and laughter.

Here's more proof that dogs are as smart as human beings. A charity organisation called Canine Partners is training Labradors (or Golden Retrievers?) to help their disabled owners to withdraw cash from ATM machines! Amazing but true!

I wonder if I could teach Eddie to do the same thing. Sadly, I know for a fact that Eddie is too short to reach any ATM machine but most importantly, my "dog-genius" might just take my money and go buy a new squeaky ball or two.

0 comments: