Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Welcome The Unwelcomed


My wife and I have a "visitor" to our home at least two Sundays in a month. He shows up unannounced and it doesn't matter if we already have guests or were planning to catch up on a TV series we've recorded during the busy work-week. He'll just sit there till we're done, which can be very uncomfortable. So, we shelve what we wanted to do just to keep him entertained.

About two months ago, my wife had an old classmate over for lunch. She brought her two young boys (who were excited about meeting Eddie and Casey) as well as her husband, who was an absolute pleasure to chat with. Then, about an hour into what was a delightful afternoon, the knock on the door came. Our usual "visitor" came in and plonked himself down on the sofa. I think he made our friends uncomfortable and they "decided" it was time for them to go.

No matter how hard we've tried to tell him without hurting his feelings, he hasn't got the message.

As such, I found it impossible to contain my excitement when I found this welcome (or otherwise) mat. Turn it one way and it bids a warm "Come In". For the unwelcomed, flip it around and it bluntly says "Go Away". Vist this aptly named website for more details.

Since subtlety has not worked, I think purchasing one would be classified as an investment. I am sure my wife would agree. Still, I worry he'll be none the wiser. *sigh*

2 comments:

eshda3wa said...

i think u should just tell ur unwanted guest that he has to call
subtlety just dont work on some people

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

herein lies the problem.

you see, this fella is a foreigner and we put him up at our old home when he first arrived. he then stayed put! i asked that he find his own accomodation after we moved to a smaller home last year.

somehow, he doesn't get it in his head that he might be intruding. maybe its the culture where he's from.

thanks for the advice eshda3wa!