Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Black Beauty


Back in 1997, I bought my first car. We've always had a family car and as the description implies, I got to drive it only when no one else was using it. So, this was the FIRST car I've owned. It was a 1990 Honda CRX. I saw the car when it first reached our shores and I fell head over heels in love with it immediately. Back then, I had just been enlisted in the armed forces to perform my "tour of duty". So, I promised myself that when I started working and could afford to own one, I'd buy it. And I did.

Of course, it was already 7 years old when I signed on the dotted line and brought my dream car back home. It was jet black, had a sun-roof (I love sun-roofs) and could go 0 to 100 km/h in well under 7 seconds. It was fast and definitely furious. However, the condition of the car was not great and I made it my personal mission to restore the car to its original glory. Even though I was drawing a small salary since I only had worked for a couple of years just after graduation, I spent every cent I had on it. New exhaust system, new interior trims, new tyres and rims, new all-leather sports steering and a mind (and ear-drums) blowing sound system. It was my pride and joy. Even when it was not driven, seeing it parked at my apartment's carpark from my room window would put a smile on my face.

For me, it was not about owning a flashy car. It was the joy it brought me during a relatively difficult time in my life. After spending so much money on it, there wasn't enough left to take it out to paint the town red on a Saturday night - or any other night for that matter. So, I took it for long drives on all the major expressways in Singapore almost every Saturday - like a date. With cool tunes loaded into the CD changer, my car and I would cruise down the highways - occasionally crossing the speed limits, which was a piece of cake for a CRX. Whatever problems I had on my mind would vanish as I enjoyed the breeze through the open windows and sun-roof and music by The Eagles, Candy Dulfer and Chicago - just to name a few. By the time I got home, my problems did not seem so significant anymore.

I swore that I'd keep and treasure my car forever. However, my dream car and I parted sooner than I had expected - after only 7 months. My father had some financial problems which he kept quiet about, not wanting to burden me, but eventually became to difficult for him. So, to help him out, I sold my black beauty, my dream car, my friend. My father knew how much the car meant to me and it saddened him deeply that I let it go. I still remember the pain I felt as I watched the new owner drive my pride and joy away. Standing on the side of the road watching the car disappear into the distance, a grown man of 26 years fought a futile battle to hold back the tears.

Why rehash old memories now, you ask? Well, I found the exact same model (same colour, same modifications) on sale on one of the local online car marts. I am not sure if it was the same car I had sold about 10 years ago. The thing is, there aren't many of this model on the roads anymore. As such, I have been eyeing it since February when it was listed. Sadly, I logged in on Monday to find that it had been sold. Even though there was no real intention to acquire it as a second car, the same pain I felt when I watched my CRX drive off almost a decade ago came rushing back. Again, I had to fight the tears.

The car represented a lot of things. It was the first major purchase I had ever made, it brought me immense joy, it relieved me from my problems and worries and helped me nurse a broken heart. But most importantly, it saved my family during a crisis.

And though I have been blessed to own a beautiful car that I love today, I will never forget that two door sports car that meant the world to me.


Picture above is a Honda (known as Accura in the States) CRX. I will post a picture of my car sometime soon.

7 comments:

Danah said...

as much as it has saddened your dad to see you sell your car, i'm sure he really appreciated it.

The Premster said...

you're absolutely right, dandoon.

a couple of months before he became severely ill, he told me that he was going to buy me my old car back. i was surprised cos i thought he had forgotten about that car.

thank you for your comforting words. :)

March 07, 2007 6:44 PM

Anonymous said...

wow...thats so noble of you!!

watching something so precious to you be taken away is so hard....but you proved taht family is more important than material things

It was worth it...since ur dad really appreciated it and offered to buy it back for u :)

I hope you can "reunite" with ur old dream cry...even if its just for a day :D

but tell me do u like ur current car? I am sure it looks very sporty...especially with the infant carseat buckled inside :D

eshda3wa said...

i felt sad reading ur post, and i also felt proud, eventhough i dont know u, but what u did was amazing
ur a good person :)

The Premster said...

thank you ghasheema. that is very nice of you to say.

it was really hard to see it go but i think it was something that had to be done. and my dad was definitely very appreciative. i knew he felt bad about it but i never realised how badly he felt until he offered to buy it back.

the thing is, even if i had bought the car that was listed for sale, the joy would only be complete if my father was still here to share it.

as for my current car, i don't like it. i actually love it!! a little of the "glam factor" is gone with a car-seat permanently fitted in there but its worth it when i see the kick my son gets from all the outings! :)

The Premster said...

it was a little more than just financial independence, vanessa.

it was more the ability to make a long-time dream become a reality.

The Premster said...

that is very kind of you to say, eshda3wa.

sometimes, i feel a little silly talking about having attachments to a car but to me, it was much more than a set of wheels to get me around.

it was really difficult when i decided to part with it but the sacrifice was definitely worth it.