Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wear And Tear

Warning : Depressing entry alert! Read at your own risk.

I'm tired. Not just physically but mentally too. "Your son keeping you awake?", is the constant response to the look of wear on my face. Hardly, considering he is one of only two people who can make me smile these days. My dear wife is the other.

In December, my wife was stiffed of almost $300 in terms of ourstanding utility bills by a previous tenant who stayed at our apartment before we moved in there ourselves. My wife, who trusted this lady throughout the tenancy, was shocked that not only did she not want to pay what was owed, she threatened legal action against my wife claiming the cost of furniture she had abandoned at our apartment after the tenancy expired. Always believing in the kindness and decency of human beings, my wife was in tears as a result of the tenant's harsh reaction. This angered me and I embarked on giving this woman a taste of her own medicine. After nights of reading, analysing contracts, going through files and collating evidence, I embarked on my threat of legal action against her, with the amassed documents as evidence, in the event she does not pay what was owed to my wife immediately. A vicious tigress was reduced to a clawless pussycat and a cheque together with a letter of apology was couriered to our apartment a few days later. Although I cherished the success, the entire episode took quite a chunk out of my energy reserve.

A couple of months ago, I fought very hard for a relative of mine to get his employment permit renewed after it was rejected based on stipulated regulations. It took me a few days and nights to study policies, lock horns with Government authorities and cough up supporting facts to prop up a very weak application. Subsequently, it was approved on principle. In the end, while my relative walked away happily with his employment permit intact, I doubt he'll ever know, understand or appreciate how much of a toll it took on me. I promise to share why in a later post.

Just a couple of days ago, I received a response from another Government authority that Casey's change of address application was rejected on grounds that our apartment was allowed only one dog. This, after being upfront with them about our two dogs before we moved in. Again, I spent days and nights fighting with the housing as well as animal licensing authorities. The issue is still pending.

Work is no picnic either. I am constantly having to deal with my surbordinates' poor work attitude as well as their attitude towards their supervisor - me. Although it is part of my "job description", being disliked by others is not a nice feeling.

It seems like I am at constant loggerheads with someone about something all the time. And while I have been successful in getting "my way" some of the time, it worries me that when it is time to fight about the matters that mean the most to me, I will be out of steam.

Casey's situation is one that concerns me a great deal. But having been through so many "battles", I am drained. I wish I had the same energy and spunk to fight for my dog but reading back the numerous emails I've written to the authorities over the last two days, it just comes off sounding extremely lame. I even found one with the wrong date and broken sentences!

Even though I have yet to receive a response from the authorities, I fear a negative reply in the horizon. There is no way I will allow the authorities to force me to give up my dog but I am worried that I am not up for a good fight. Casey fate - remaining a member of our family - is in my very weak hands.

I'm tired. I'm tired of fighting these battles over and over again. I'm tired of my mind constantly replaying different situations and how I should respond to them. I'm tired of checking my emails every hour filled with anxiety over what I might find. I'm tired of dealing with problematic co-workers and their attitude. I'm tired of people, relatives or otherwise, taking advantage of my family and me. Most importantly, I'm tired of feeling this way.

I just wish the world would stop turning for ten minutes so that my mind can rest and I can catch my breath again.

6 comments:

eshda3wa said...

if something really matters comes up, ull be amazed at the inner strenght that will appear.

i admire the way u faced each situation, the research and the time u put into it.

But you know what they say, u gotta pick ur battles, and if people are taking advantage of you, then its also up to u n ur family to draw the line.

You dont need the world to stop turning. You need to give yourself a break and cut some slack.

on the weekend or a day off, and just relax, take ur wife out to dinner, or spend the day in a park with ur son. Do something nice, treat urself for a change and dont think about anything else

Anonymous said...

seriously all i wanted to say eshda3wa beat me to it.

but i have second her on choosing you battles.

and you sound like you are in serious need of a vacation very very soon....I say put everything aside...work...relatives...and government policies...and escape to the quiet wilderness....in other words be tarzan for a few days :Pp

no seriously...I know it works for me....I have to escape to the wilderness....a cottage for a day or two does wonders =D

On the other side....i am very happy to know that you can fight and win your battles...even if it puts a strain on you....means you have a strong personality and goodwill and determination

relax my friend and get sometime off...you truly deserve it :)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

thank you for the invaluable advice.

i know that i should really pick my battles but it appears that all battles end up at my doorstep. i wish i were strong enough to say "no" but my conscience usually gets the better of me.

weekends out with my wife and son are definitely a great idea. i'm definitely going to make that work.

thank you! have a great weekend, dear friend.

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

you're very correct about the need for a vacation. i've actually not been on a vacation for about 20 years now.

my last few trips out of the country was for work, to bring my dad overseas for treatment and to see him again a couple of weeks before he passed on. i guess the last two will always be on my mind when i board a plane from now on.

not sure if you know this but singapore is well-known as being a "concrete jungle" - buildings and more buildings. i'd like the wilderness but i'd have to travel really far for that. might not be very convenient now that i have a little boy. maybe when he's older we can all go as a family. hope my sanity holds till then. ;)

but thank you for your kind words. i am very grateful to have such lovely friends on blogger.

have a great weekend, my dear friend. :)

Dakhtour said...

Dude how many times should i tell u this? life won't be that easy and don't expect it to be one day... So as Ghasheema said.. Give urself a break from it and try to enjoy it as much as u can my friend :)

The Premster said...

yo zizo my friend,

thanks for the advice. life will always be tough - i have come to accept that. but somehow, i seem to always get the brunt of it.

i'm trying to take things easy as much as i can for now.

thanks again, pal