Monday, October 02, 2006

When Gadgets And Kitchens Collide


Everyone knows I am a gadget fanatic. I get excited over anything that has a digital screen, beeps and has loads of buttons. My dear wife? She loves cooking and baking. So, it was a match made in heaven when we were out shopping for kitchen appliances while we were having our home renovated.

While shopping for an oven, we came across a variety of brands and models. We settled on a Electrolux built-in oven which was touted to be a "smart oven". My wife thumbed through the manual and said "This has pre-defined programmes for Lasange, Pizza, Roasting Chicken, etc. Just pop it in and press the button." She also mentioned something about a long metal rod called a "meat probe" and I made an inappropriate joke about how it would benefit our salesman, who appeared to be gay. Shame on you, Prem!!

"It costs a lot more than a regular built-in, dear.", my wife said. I looked at it and analysed. Digital screen? Check. Beeps? Check. Lots of buttons? Check. And it was brushed metal too! "Technically sound oven", I thought with a smile. I gave her the thumbs up to go for it. Nothing like digital screens, beeps and buttons to make a kitchen feel high-tech.

Yesterday, I got to see the "smart oven" in action as my wife decided to take it for a test drive by making Shepherd's Pie. The final product? Mmmmmm.... it was heavenly. My wife appeared excited by the performance of the oven and the perfect Shepherd's Pie that resulted.

Her lovely smile and my satisfied tummy made for a perfect end to the weekend! The "smart oven" made us both happy.


10 comments:

Dakhtour said...

Loooooool i can c the big difference between this meal and mine :P

Woooow seems really yummyyyy.. Can i join u!? :P

The Premster said...

you are definitely most welcome at our dinner table anytime, my fried.

Danah said...

If I had one I'd be very tempted to have another go at baking! Shepherd's Pie looks yummy - I'm assuming I'm also invited next time?:p

The Premster said...

most definitely, dandoon. it'll be our absolute pleasure to have you over.

Shwaish said...

hey if theyre invited i better be too!! looks delicious, i wish i can bake :(

The Premster said...

hi vanessa,

give my wife a call. i'm sure she'll be excited to share the receipe. :)

The Premster said...

i'm sure you can, princess. give it a try.

and you're definitely invited. the party wouldn't be complete if one of you didn't make it. :)

The Premster said...

oh... and if you're interested in cooking or baking, do visit my dear friend vanessa's blog. she's at :

vanessafrida.livejournal.com

she's an absolute genius!

Danah said...

Thank you:D

I had a look at Vanessa's blog and the potato salad looks simple enough for me to make!:p

Dev's Daddy said...

hi dandoon,

vanessa's blog is updated on a daily basis. do check back from time to time to see her new recepies. she 'invents' most of them.

i'm sure she'll be excited to know you paid her blog a visit! :)