Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bulb Technology


First and foremost, a disclaimer. I am not taking shots at women or implying that men are smarter. On the contrary, I think the reverse is true. However, our encounter with a sales girl last weekend left my wife and I perplexed. It was very reminiscent of a beauty pageant on TV some years ago when, during a question and answer segment, the host asked a contestant if she'd rather have her makeup kit or her mobile phone with her if she was stranded in a jungle. "Mobile phone!", came her smart answer. "Why?", the host prodded. "Because I can take it apart and send out radiation so that the rescuers can find me", she said with a confident smile. I guess dialling for help was far too difficult under those conditions.

Anyway, back to our encounter....

We chanced upon a table-top water feature (a fountain, basically) while out shopping and my wife thought it would look fabulous in our study room. So, we decided to spring for it. The petite girl who attended to us was unable to get the new fountain out of its box for us to inspect. Seeing her struggle, I told her not to trouble herself and if it was faulty, we would bring it back. I then studied the same unit they had on display to see if there was any assembly required. The following was our conversation.

Me : The bulb looks unique. Is it readily available?
Sales Girl : Not sure but we can order for you also.
Me : That means I'd have to come all the way back here just for a bulb?
Sales Girl : Well sir, you don't have to worry. The bulb uses electricity so you don't have to replace it at all.
Wife (whispering to me) : Was she a beauty pageant contestant?

*sigh*

7 comments:

The Premster said...

then, you can imagine our reaction!

i doubt we will ever forget the beauty contestant. :)

Danah said...

She has a point you know, you don't have to replace it!:p LOL

The Premster said...

and what point would that be? that she has no point? :P

LOL

me said...

7aram 3laike...they were 2 stupid girls among millions of smart ones ;),,

u know i think its the language not the brain :)

Danah said...

The point is that when you get your bulb, you won't have to go back there for another bulb again:p Can't they just deliver it to you instead?

The Premster said...

hello me, and welcome!

i am happy to report that all the women i know are highly intelligent.... which is probably why i found this encounter so amusing.

language problem? hmmm....

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

ah... you mean those super-duper-long-lasting ones. yes, yes. change it today and my great great grandson will have to replace it next. :P LOL

and no deliveries. they didn't even deliver the fountain, let alone the bulb. so much for service.