Saturday, September 15, 2007

Size Doesn't Matter

Exactly a year ago today, my wife, our then 1 month old boy and I moved from our 1463 sq feet private apartment to our current public housing of approximately 1000 sq feet. It was purely circumstances that led us to move to smaller and simpler accomodation.

Although it was my idea to sacrifice another bigger apartment to be paid for over the next 20 odd years versus a smaller one that we can own immediately, I was extremely worried about my decision, one that would impact all of us, on moving day. All my life, I've lived in private housing. So did my wife. This is the first time either of us was to experience life in a Government-subsidised apartment. I remember begging under my breath "Please God, let this be a good decision" as I locked our former home for the very last time.

A year down the road, I'd have to say that the decision was not a bad one after all. Thank God. Although smaller, my wife has made it very cosy and comfortable for all of us. It is easier to clean and manage and for the first time in my life, I have everything (my home theatre and sound systems) set up the way I like. My wife has a kitchen she loves and The Devster has his very own playzone.

Aside from the comforts within our home, everything appears to be a stone's throw away. My wife takes the MRT to work everyday and it takes her a total of 25 minutes from the time she steps out the door to the time she sits at her desk. Although I drive to work (due to my late and long hours), it would actually take me less than 20 minutes to walk to my office!

The neighbourhood is fantastic too! There's a 24 hour food place about 10 minutes away by foot, a 24 hour clinic 5 minutes away, a regular wet-market about 5 minutes away and our block is surrounded by lots of playgrounds which I'd expect The Devster to be hanging out at when he's older. If we don't get our groceries from the wet-market, there is a major shopping mall which is about a 10 minute walk down the road and has a huge supermarket. This is the same mall where I bought my "Moses phone" recently. I love this mall because it has practically everything!

Aside from the tangible comforts, what makes this place immensely significant is the fact that this is really my very own family's home - where I am fully responsible for everyone's well-being. It is a huge responsibility where my every decision will fully affect everyone living under the same roof. Fortunately for me, I am blessed with a life-partner who is herself blessed with level-headedness and the ability to remaining calm under pressure - two traits I am sorely lacking in. Oh, and she's an excellent cook to boot!

All in all, we're very happy here. Recently, my wife and I were talking about the future and one thing was apparent - even if we could afford to move to more luxurious accomodations, it would be remarkably hard for us to leave our present home. Many lovely memories have been made here and I am sure there's more to come.

Home, sweet home.

6 comments:

eshda3wa said...

its true prem
size definitely dosent matter
its ur family that turns the place into a dream home or a total nightmare
and god has blessed u with a beautiful home and an even more beautiful family

may u always be this happy!

Anonymous said...

it is home sweet home indeed :)

and with all that conveniency around you are set to enjoy your life peacefully

the most important thing is that you like it, your wife likes it and soon devster will show that he likes it too =D

all the best to you and your family prem :)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

we like the place very much. it is a culmination of what both my wife and i worked so hard for - and through all the difficult times. we decided on a smaller place but said that we would accord ourselves more luxuries like nicer furniture and better quality fixtures.

your generous and kind wishes for us will always be appreciated.

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

thank you for your very kind wishes!

yes, it is surprisingly convenient there. we now look back and wonder how we actually surivived at the old place! :)

i hope the devster will like it too. he was way too young to remember the old place anyway.

have a fantastic week ahead!!

Shwaish said...

no it doesnt matter as long as ur happy where u r, u can call it homey, cozy and its fine :D i wish u more happiness with ur family in ur lovely home

phoenix said...

They say it's not what's from the outside that matters it's what's within.. and reading this, it sounds like your family makes the inside beautiful. Inshallah your house is full of lovely memories my friend!