Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Felt The Earth Move

At about 7:10 pm today, I was sitting at my office reading about the latest gadgets being announced and launched - to decide the best way to blow my hard-earned paycheck - when one of my Engineers turned to me and said "the building is shaking". "Nonsense! Its all in your head", came my immediate response. Another Engineer, also not feeling anything, nodded his head violently in approval.

A few minutes later, I felt it in my head - a dizzy feeling. Then I felt it physically - our office building was actually swaying!

Being employed in a major news and media company, I called the newsroom to enquire if there were reports of earth tremors around Singapore. A friend in the newsroom said "We're swampped with calls from all over Singapore!" and hung up in a rush. As I hung up, my wife called me to say that she could feel major tremors at her office!

Looking through the major news websites, I found out that there was a major undersea earthquake of magnitude 8 in Jakarta. Jakarta authorities has since issued a Tsunami warning.

If we could feel the tremors here in Singapore, I can't imagine how it would be like in Jakarta. I hope everyone is alright.

More on the news and a video can be found here.

2 comments:

eshda3wa said...

man

may god be with them :(

The Premster said...

i hope so too.

just feeling the tremors from so far away made us panic a little. i can't imagine what they're going through.