Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ditch Your Computer Day!


Just yesterday, I read and blogged about the passing of Mr Robert Adler, the man who invented the remote control - a device I absolutely cannot live without. We take so many of these devices, gadgets and inventions for granted without even an inkling of who invented them or considered if we'd be able to survive without them.

As a gadget addict / freak / aficionado / fanatic / buff / devotee / enthusiast, I am fully aware that I cannot function like a normal human being without my gadgets for a day. This is why when I leave my home, my laptop, 2 smartphones, my iPod Video, my internet-banking security token, a 2GB thumb-drive and two remote controls (one for my car's security system and the other for my home's security system!) goes with me. This does not include my gadget-laden car which I drive everywhere.

So as a personal challenge, I have decided to give this a go. On 24 March this year (a Saturday), I will not turn on any of my PCs or laptops. To make things more difficult, I'm going to ditch my smartphones and settle for one cellular phone without any of the fancy bells and whistles. Anyone also keen to take up this challenge?

Now, all I have to do is to key this date into my smartphone's organiser to remind me of the event. *wink*

Picture above : My outdoor geek-kit. My other smartphone (not in picture) was used to take this shot.

4 comments:

The Premster said...

i'll need all the luck and will-power i can get. ;)

Anonymous said...

lol great idea, and i'm in!

and lol @ " settle for one cellular phone without any of the fancy bells and whistles"

ummm isnt a cellphone still a cell phone,.... try walking around without a phone on purpose, its liberating.

The Premster said...

hi skunk,

"walking around without a phone on purpose"? geez... i make the trip all the way back home when i forget even one of my cellphones.

i'm suicidal to do it on purpose, my friend. ;P

and... welcome to my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

prem have you seen the movie "click"

I want a remote just like the one in the movie =D