Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Burden Of Reality


Last night, I watched a late night movie on the tele called "Barbershop". I think it was released in 2002 and it starred some pretty well-known rappers and actors like Ice Cube, Cedric The Entertainer and Eve.

It tells the story about a guy named Calvin (Cube) who runs a barbershop that was passed down to him after his father passed away. He works hard to keep it going but is not very successful. After two years, he decides that he has had enough and sells it to an unscrupulous man who initially promises him to keep the barbershop going but later does not keep his end of the bargain and plans to turn the barbershop into a gentlemen's club. Calvin does not realise how important the barbershop is to him until his wife reminds him of how much it meant to his father and how so many people in their community depend on the barbershop not just for their hair-cut but to keep the cohesiveness of the community intact.

On any other occassion, this would have been just another movie but recently, certain developments made the storyline tug at my heart heavily. Although I am not sure of what the outcome of my situation is going to be but I can say upfront that either decision will be painful - one physically, one mentally.

I promise to share more when I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I havent seen the movie but it sounds like a good one!

and it got a realistic thread in it...the part about keeping the family business going.....I think it might have been easier for Calvin to run the barbershop if the pressure of keeping the "family" business alive was not stressed!

Dakhtour said...

Hmmmmm never heard of this movie.. I hate Ice cube cause he's really a bad actor and i don't get it how people find him funny! :)

The Premster said...

that is very insightful of you ghasheema.

calvin's father was being a good soul by providing free haircuts to those who needed it and gave up chairs to barbers who couldn't afford to pay rent. as such, the barbershop ran at a loss.

i feel for calvin on many levels.

The Premster said...

zizo my man,

i don't particularly like ice cube myself - a bad rapper and even worse actor - but i appreciated the storyline.

The Premster said...

late night movie marathon, vanessa??

done with prison break?? ;)