Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Farewell To The Father Of Remotes


When my son was born, I wished for him to have interest in medicine, law, business or anything other than the field of Information Technology and hankering after gadgets everyday like a love-sick puppy (read: like his Daddy). With my luck, I knew my wish would not be granted and this was confirmed when my little boy took his first glimpse at my array of remote controls. His eyes brightened, he started to drool and then desperately (and recklessly) reached out to grab one. Since then, he'd kick up a ruckus if he failed to get his saliva-coated hands on it.

A week later, I promptly got him a t-shirt which said "Hand over the remote and no one gets hurt". He wears it proudly. *sigh*

We use remote controls everyday. We reach for it subconsciously when we want to change the channel on reruns of Seinfeld, to pump up the volume when we hear our favourite song on MTV or to pause Flightplan when we need to go take a tinkle. Do we know who first invented the remote control - a device used by almost everyone in the world? His name was Mr Robert Adler. Sadly, he died last week at the age of 93 and it is a shame that the world was none the wiser.

With this entry, my little boy and I bid a fond farewell to an inventor that brought a great deal of convenience to the world.

Thank you, Mr Adler. I couldn't have become the remote toting couch potato I am today without you. I am eternally grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that....thats nice to know....you are right we use the romete so much and odnt even know who thought and invented it


but its weired how we got soooo attached to our remotes....like how we would get up and search the whole rooom for the remote...but wont change the channel manually through the buttons on the tv.....I personally do that..and everytime I promise myself to change the channel through the tv first then search for the remote....but no use....if my baby remotiee got lost...i cant think of anything but find it :D

BTW I love ur baby's t-shirt....soooooooooo adorable :)

The Premster said...

i totally agree with you, ghasheema! i'd spend 10 mins looking for the remote but won't even bother walking up to the tv to switch the channel.

to make matters worse, i just bought one of those universal remotes that consolidates all my remotes into one. so, you can just imagine the panic if i misplace that!!

oh... i got the t-shirt (actually, its more of a bodysuit) from amazon. he also has bodysuits that say "milk junkie" and "dude, where's my stroller?"

unfortunately for him, his daddy has a sense of humour.