Friday, July 13, 2007

Time Out


I'm confused.

Isn't it a sign of love when you give a cute, soft and cuddly teddy bear to a loved one or a child?

My wife and I have been doing some online shopping over the last few days for our little boy, who will be turning one in a few weeks. So far, we've blown quite a tidy sum on a dedicated play area (two of them, to be exact) for him. This will officially turn our so-called "designer" home into what would resemble the kiddy area in your local McDonald's outlet. While the play area will keep him protected from our doggies (they love licking him!) and other possible hazards, it'll also protect my expensive (by my meagre financial standards) hi-fi / home theatre setup from a very curious little boy who simply adores buttons and lights. Oops... side-tracked.

One of my searches turned up this little teddy bear with what looks like a kitchen timer stuffed into his tummy. With that, the Time Out Bear is born. When your little one misbehaves, you can "set" a time-out for him or her on the bear's timer. To futher enhance punishment / humiliation, the smile on the bear's face looks like he's mocking your little one.

Aside from this, I can think of other practical purposes. You can have one in the kitchen as a decorative item that can double up as a timer for cooking / baking.

And if you're severely attention deprived, turn the dial and carry it through any airport security station. I guarantee you'll be the talk of the town.

For all it can do, it's a steal at US$19.98.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought they ran out of ideas to make parents buy worthless products...but apparently i was wrong

why dont they let the parent do the parenting...now they have a bear that takes care of the "time out"

I think time out should involve a conversation between the parent and the child...and leaving the kid alone think about it is not effective....for the love of GOd he is a kid...and kids have hugeeee imagination...u really think he is gonna sit there and think aobut the wrong that he did!!!!


Sorry prem...but i just get mad when I see stuff like this :/

how is the lil one =D

The Premster said...

no apologies necessary, ghasheema. This was writtern with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I thought it was a silly idea myself. The guys who made this must have been sitting around with a kitchen timer and said "what else can we do with it?"

Technological innovations and stupid ideas are born everyday. Nothing we can do to stop them.

Btw, thanks for enquiring about our little one. He's doing well. We're looking forward to his birthday celebrations.

Shwaish said...

hehehehehhe it doesnt look like its mocking the child!! what a way to ruin teddy bears for him!!

phoenix said...

You're son is very lucky to have parents like that ;)
As for the bear: I love the way you put it into play with the kids and the time out..

eshda3wa said...

prem, can i pretend to be ur long lost daughter n u design a play area for me?

The Premster said...

hi princess,

sweet and cuddly teddy bears should never be made into tools of punishment, if you ask me.

overall, a silly "invention", if you can call it one.

The Premster said...

hi phoenix,

thank you for the wonderful compliment. my wife and i aim to be good parents but the final appraisal will be officially signed by our little one when he is older.

can't wait to see how that turns out! ;)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

i have to say that this is the first time anyone has asked to be my "daughter". but if that helps our little fella have a big sister, then give me a walking stick and call me "pops". ;)

oh, and i'll have to inform my wife (your pretend mommy) about the "new edition" to the family. :D