Tuesday, July 24, 2007

TJ Beary Hurt

As it turns out, my son is a huge Jackie Chan fan. Although I've not witnessed it personally, my wife has told me that he is usually transfixed when good ol' Jackie does his stuff on TV.

As a Daddy, it is quite the relief to know that he is into the "macho" stuff. It is a bigger relief to know that I wouldn't have to deal with a massive coronary worrying about him showing interest in Barbie dolls over GI Joe action figures.

Anyway, for his first Christmas (in 2006), I came across a loveable toy called TJ Bearytales and having seen it in action, I decided that this was something I must get for our little boy. This is a bear which tells stories and sings in a cute, slightly raspy child-like voice. To make the little fella appear real, TJ (short for Theodore James) Bearytales has some really impressive animatronics - just like the cute, yet life-like characters that are created in Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Here's a video of TJ performing "The Story Box Song".

Since Christmas, TJ became so much a part of our little boy's playtime that he became quite real to us too. We'd watch with facination how TJ would tell stories with so much expression and excitement with our little boy sitting and listening intently. I have even found myself unconsciously asking "How are you today, TJ?" as I pass the toy with his switch in the "off" position.

Last week, my wife brought TJ to me and said that TJ wasn't responding correctly. His mouth no longer moved, his ears no longer wiggled and he started taking his time telling stories with long pauses in between. Suspecting weak batteries, we got new ones and popped them in. It didn't work. I later learnt that our son had put some Jackie Chan moves on the poor little bear and, in my "medical" opinion, has most likely "broken his neck or spine". I felt sad for TJ because he was no longer the same fella we knew and loved.

In my son's defense, TJ was meant to be for kids 3 years or older. So, I guess it is my fault for getting TJ "hurt".

I think our boy sensed that there is something not quite right with his "friend" and these days, appears to be more gentle with him. Over the last few days, I have seen him gently leaning forward and giving TJ a kiss on his nose as TJ goes on about going on a safari or his adventures with a ladybug.

To the guys at Hasbro and Playskool, my hats off to you for making such an adorable toy that always puts a smile on everyone's faces - both young and old.

And I guess I should be grateful that my son hasn't become a fan of the high-pitched, quick talking Chris Tucker - as seen playing Jackie Chan's sidekick in the Rush Hour movie and sequels.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

buying toys for babies and toddlers is always tricky....cuz you dont know if they're gonna like it or not!!!

just wait til he gets older...he is gonna be nagging for any new toy that hits the markets...u should have a savings account just for toys :P

and I love Jackie Chan too =D and I especially like rush hour BECUZ of chris rock ;P

eshda3wa said...

tj is soooooooo cute!

i want one for me!

i dont like jakie chan
hes... well...
i just dont like him

Unknown said...

You know something... you and your family really shine thru in this posting...no no no...you guys are not violent. What i see is a very loving family. You guys love everyone... toys included. Wonderful wonderful people. I am so proud to say you guys are my friends. *HUGS*

Shwaish said...

awwwwww thats so sweet how he is gentler with his toy now sooo adorable mashala

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

i've learnt the hard way about buying toys for my son. he loves tj bearytales very much but when i got him the tmx elmo, he really doesn't care too much about it.

so poor elmo is rolling around laughing on our living room floor and my son couldn't care less! :D

you like jackie chan too? haha... he's alright, i guess. chris rock? hmmm... think you mean chris tucker? ok, he's not bad too!! ;)

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

if you think tj is cute in the video, you should see him in person. after awhile, you'd just imagine him as "being alive".

lets see if i can scrounge up some dough for a tj just for you. i'm a poor fella after all. :(

jackie chan is ok, i guess. you've got to hand it to him for trying his hand at english - even though i have a hard time trying to understand him. ;)

The Premster said...

hi vanessa,

that is very sweet of you to say. i'm sure you know that we're just regular people. but what makes us different is that we are fortunate to have been blessed with wonderful friends - like you and cheok.

btw, stopped by your blog last week and caught a glimpse of the view from your bedroom at your new home. absolutely beautiful!

The Premster said...

hi princess,

thank you! i am glad he's learning that his actions can hurt something or someone. and i constantly pray that he will always be compassionate to others.