Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hero In China

Growing up, among the many ambitions I had, I wanted to be a super hero. I constantly wished that I had some hidden power that would suddenly be unleashed by a knock on the head or something less dramatic as over-exposure to GSM radiation from excessive mobile phone usage. So, Superman, Spiderman, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Flash, The Man From Atlantis and Wonder Woman were among those I revered.

Ok, I admired Wonder Woman for very different reasons. *wink*

So, you can probably imagine my facination when the TV show Heroes came along. For the uninitiated, it is about regular people who suddenly find that they have super-human abilities and are forced to live and cope with their "gift". And since then, when no one is looking, I've been trying to see if there's another "me" in the mirror, watch paper cuts heal (they just clot!), walk through walls (that explains the headaches) and concentrate on clocks to see if I can get the second hand to go backwards.

It almost worked on the clock we have in our bathroom a few days back. As I was staring at it, the second hand suddenly stopped! I almost shouted "Yatta!" - thats "I did it", in Japanese! But alas, it turned out that clock's battery coincidently ran out. *sigh*

While I'll never be a Hero like my favourite character, Hiro Nakamura (see picture), there is man in China who apparently pumps 220 volts of electricity into himself - purely for exercise. He's known to be able light lightbulbs and cook fish in under two minutes while "plugged in".

Known as the Electric Man, Mr Zhang Deke, 71, uses his power (pun intended) only for good. After he's charged up, he can apparently heal people suffering from rheumatism and arthritis.

Don't rush off to China, Dr Mohinder Suresh, the guys at Spluch already found him.

4 comments:

eshda3wa said...

the guy sends vaults of electricity thru his body?!!

very interesting!

his brain is functioning normally?
hes not drooling or anthing like that?

The Premster said...

brain functions normally except for the fact he found it 'fun' to electrocute himself for for sport everyday.

He's an old man so i cant confirm the 'drooling' thing. ;)

Anonymous said...

hey there :)

nice post...if u develop a super-power plz let me know...cuz i want one too...one that can read ppl's thoughts...i wanna know who to trust :/

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

nice to see you back in these parts again!

as for reading people's thoughts, you may wish to consult Officer Parkman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Parkman

i have to admit - that would really be a cool gift to have.