Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Trivial Pursuits

Came across this very interesting list of things that, if memorised, would make you sound like the smartest person in the world. Of course, I would never post anything that I didn't verify myself. So, here the list - what's fact and fiction.

Drum roll please.....

1. The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.

This is a fact. Apparently, the liquid was siphoned directly from the coconut and given to wounded soldiers during the war between 1941 and 1945. More can be found here.

2. No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

From this site, it seems like this was true until 2001 when a high school girl named Britney Gallivan came along and by using some mathematical formula (please don't ask me how the formula works) managed to disprove this theory.

3. Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

Let's check the statistics with the International Donkey Transport Authority... What? No such authority? I guess you have the answer.

4. You burn more calories sleeping than when you watch television.

Based on the table given here, it appears to be true as long as you're over 250 pounds.

5. Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are at least 50 years old.

Don't think we have oak trees where I live. But this is true.

6. The first product in the world ever to have a barcode is Wrigley's Spearmint gum.

This is a fact. The next time you have a Wrigley's in your hand, remember that it is part of history. Too bad chewing gum is banned where I am.

7. The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.

There is a very good explanation of why here. Alright, where's my razor?

8. American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 just by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.

This probably explains why we get puny meals even on long-haul flights. This and more interesting airline trivia can be found here.

9. Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

Is that why Venus is associated with women?

10. Apples, not caffeine, are more effective in waking you up in the morning.

I can't find any facts to prove or disprove this but here's a list of drinks that can keep you awake. Redbull is in there somewhere. *wink*

11. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

Cool, isn't it? And did you know that "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog" uses all the letter on a keyboard? You did? *blush*

12. The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

Ironic, don't you think?

13. Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of Nike's factory workers in Malaysia combined.

I really $houldn't have given up on playing ba$ketball when I wa$ young.

14. Barbie's real name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

How do I know? Just ask Ken! Or you could check with the guys down at Wikipedia.

15. Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

Hogwash, if you ask me. In fact, Mickey Mouse was considered his alter ego. More on the man that put a smile on children's faces all over the world here.

16. Pearls melt in vinegar.

For the technical mumbo-jumbo, click here.

17. It is impossible to lick your own elbow.

Is it? Hmmm....

18. There is an image of or reference to Superman somewhere in every episode of "Seinfeld".

For the Superman fans out there. You know who you are. *wink*

19. 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

So, THAT's what photocopiers for!

20 It is recommended that you keep your toothbrush at least 6 feet away from your toilet to prevent airborne particles resulting from a flush from settling on it.

True. I keep my tootbrush in the garden these days.

And the final fact :

Of all the information that was provided here, I'll bet 90% of you would have tried to disprove number 17! :)

8 comments:

Danah said...

LOL! I did try to lick my elbow when I read #17 - I couldn't do it:/

And #18 is for me, isn't it? Go on, admit it!;)

Dakhtour said...

I did the same thing as dandoon and it ends up with a severe pain in my neck... Thanx to u :P

Cool post man hehe I really liked it but I think I can burn more calories While I'm eating :P

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

you're definitely not alone. sad to say, i did it too!! :P

and yes... #18 is for you! :D

you're the biggest superman fan i know.

The Premster said...

hi zizotime,

sorry to hear that you are hurt. so, i'm the pain in your neck?? ;)

burn more calories when you're eating, huh? now, if you can demonstrate that to the world, you'll be hailed as a genius! :D

Dakhtour said...

Yes you're the pain looooool (kidding) :)

Yeah let them know that there is only one genius q8y guy in the world :P

The Premster said...

hi zizo,

pain in the neck... and proud of it! :D

so, when are you going to share your secret of burning calories purely by eating with the world? we definitely need this breakthrough. supermodels all over the world will love you! :)

and try anarex (tablet - blue and white) for your neck. it is a muscle relaxant.

i'm kind of a "pharmacist" too. ;)

Danah said...

I have to admit that I was surprised when most of the replies on my blog were from Batman fans:P Oh well, if Jerry Seinfeld likes Superman then I guess I'm in good company;)

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

i have two questions about superman which i hope you'll be able to answer.

1. how on earth does he hide such a massive cape under his business suit and

2. why does it appear like superman wears his... *ahem*... underpants on the outside?

appreciate yours or anyone's input. ;)