Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Home That Prem (And The Mrs) Built - Part Three


We waited all week to be wow'ed. And wow'ed, we were. Unfortunately, not in a good way.

In anticipation of seeing things at our apartment taking shape, we made our way down with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement last Saturday. Our enthusiasm and excitement was quickly doused when we looked through our apartment's gate (the door has been totally removed!) to see that nothing much has been done since our visit seven days ago.

We walked in and looked around. Ok, the bathroom's wall tiles were being put up, the electrical wiring was in and... a water-pipe was leaking severely in the toilet adjacent to our kitchen! I tried to turn off the main but to no avail. I was annoyed. Our contractors were so irresponsible that they did not check to see if everything was ok prior to leaving work on Friday and left the water running like that. If we had not made our weekly visit, the leaking pipe would have flooded our new home! My wife took the cue from the angry look on my face and called our designer. She assured us that she'd get the contractor to come in and fix it immediately.

A fresh new "battle" surrounding the dining chairs emerged on Saturday. My wife and I saw (and fell in love with) some dining chairs during our furniture shopping trip the Saturday before. It had a nice light yellow colour fabric with a high back-rest. I thought the yellow would brighten the place up and the back-rest would make it comfortable for the after meal chit-chat. My designer had other thoughts. While she approved the colour (maybe she didn't want to offend us), she preferred dining chairs with low back-rest. *sigh* We gave her suggestion some thought and went to see the chairs at a shop she recommended. While the back-rest was low (about the height of our dining table), the seat area was long. This means that for a shorter person to sit in that chair comfortably, he or she would not be able to lean back. I gave my wife a firm "no" and she gave me the thumbs up as she dialed our designer to tell her the "news". I smiled to myself and thought "Designer - 0, Mrs Prem - 1".

Some new ideas came to mind and we shared it with our designer via phone on Sunday. Well, my wife did... I was having my Sunday afternoon siesta. I later learned that our designer was none too pleased with our new input. I guess she had a certain look she wanted for the place but for us, it was more functionality. In the end, we'll be living there, not her and as a result of the size of our place, functionality definitely outweighed design.

And based on the progress (or the lack of it) of the renovation, it seems like we'll have to push back our moving day for a month at least. Meanwhile, to my long awaited two-door fridge and 43" plasma TV - "be patient, my darlings.... we'll be together very soon."


PS. Picture of kitchen on top right of this post.

4 comments:

Dakhtour said...

Hehe I guess you're both (u and you're wife) are the real designer hehe

Well things like this happen when u build a house buy the door thing was really weird!!

One month to go then... Hey sure you've waited a lot of time so one more month won't be a problem man

Congrats on the new home :)

Shwaish said...

ohh yaay mrs prem and i agree with u abt the designer thing u need to be 100% happy with the way things are with the renovation or else u wont be comfortable in ur own home. and yellow is quiet nice, and wait another month :( that sux but hey if it insures that the place meets ur utmost approvel then so be it,,goodluck with things mr and mrs prem

The Premster said...

hi zizotime,

funny you should mention that. i was asking my wife a few days ago why we're paying the designer?!?!

to be honest, when we got married, my wife and i renovated our current home with my wife putting in the ideas for design. it turned out great! in fact, our designer asked when she came to our home for the first time "who is your designer?" :D

and thanks, my friend. :)

The Premster said...

hi sparkling princess,

glad you like our choice of colour for the dining chairs! will definitely send you a picture when the dining table is in.

will send your best wishes to the mrs. thanks and have a good weekend, dear friend!