Monday, June 18, 2007

First Daddy's Day


I celebrated my first Father's Day yesterday.

It was bitter-sweet for me. Firstly, I still find it hard to believe that the young and mostly irresponsible fella has not only aged but become a Father. Getting old is one thing but to be a Daddy to a 10 month old boy is overwhelming, to say the least. There are many days when I feel that I've failed him miserably as a Daddy when work and other projects take up so much of my time. But what makes me feel terrible is that my little boy is so eager to forgive my neglect. His toothless smile and his casual "hey" (not sure where he picked that up) whenever he sees me says it all. To see those two reactions mean the world to me.

Yesterday, I also remembered when I celebrated Father's Day as a son. Two Father's Days have gone by since I lost my own Dad. I remember the days leading up to Father's Day where he'd remind me not to spend money unnecessarily. Not that he was reminding me about Father's Day (he knew I wouldn't forget) but he really didn't like the idea of money not spent wisely. I remember the usual warning he'd deliver. He'd say sternly "Don't go out and spend money on another watch!" Considering the number of watches I've bought him over the years, I think it was justified.

Guess what I got as a Father's Day gift from my wife and little boy?? A watch! (see picture)

Wherever my Dad is now, I'll bet he was laughing!

Happy Father's Day to all Dads out there.

8 comments:

eshda3wa said...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY !!

im sure ur a great father prem!

stop being so hard on urself!

The Premster said...

thanks for wishes and the vote of confidence, eshda3wa.

being a daddy is really not easy and i have a new appreciation for my own father. i can now imagine how he felt when he had to work long hours and not being able to spend time with his son. but when he did, we really had loads of fun.

i missed him terribly.

Anonymous said...

Happyyyy belated Father's day

its weired...like we dont know what to get men....watches r nice :P

and Karma is getting u back for all the watches u got ur dad lol


take it easy on urself prem....if u start blaming urself now for not being their..then what r u gonna do when they grow up and they argue with u about u being there!!!

I am sure your father is proud of you as a father...cuz just caring and worrying about doing the good thing means that all ur intentions are for the good.....so wipe the negative energy and replace it with positive :)

phoenix said...

Happy Father's day!

Danah said...

happy father's day!

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

karma?? hahaha... good one, dear friend. but considering i'm a watch "aficionado", i was excited to get it!!! the new edition makes 10.

as usual, you're right. i know that i have to take it easy on myself but at the same time, i am worried that if i let go of the guilt, i may neglect him "naturally". its like walking a tight-rope. but i've vowed to do my best.

as for gifts for men, anything with loads of buttons (or a touch screen), lights and a digital display is fine. you really can't go wrong. ;)

The Premster said...

hi phoenix,

thank you, my friend! :)

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

thank you! haven't seen you around these parts in awhile.

welcome back! hope all's well in your world. :)