Sunday, October 07, 2007

38 And Counting

Whoa... the big 3-8 is upon me.

The flurry of activity during birthdays has somehow faded. Back in the day, birthdays were a big deal. I had a day jam-packed with appointments with friends and family and I was determined to keep every single one of them. So, it was a mad rush. After school (my Pre-University days), I'd start off with lunch with all my classmates at a fast-food restaurant. Our usual choice was Pizza Hut at Plaza Singapura cos we could do a little shopping after lunch.

My friends were really sweet. Knowing I was a huge collector of vinyl records (12" remixes), they'd spring for one - and it would usually be a rare remix. I'd make them sign on the record label and believe it or not, I still have them today. Playing those records bring back wonderful memories.

After that 3 - 4 hour session, I'd rush off to either meeting some relatives or have a date. Of course, those dates were far from romantic because firstly, I was not really looking for a girlfriend back then (school, friends and deejaying too up all of my time) and secondly, I hardly think tea and cake at 4:30 pm was romantic. Still I was flattered that anyone would actually ask.

Evenings were reserved strictly for family. My parents worked long hours and so as not to leave them out, I'd have final celebration of the evening at my Dad's company - the very same one I am running today. My Mum would buy a huge birthday cake along with curry puffs, cream puffs, sausage rolls and drinks and we'd invite my Dad's students to come join the celebration. No birthday celebration back then would be complete without my absolute favourite - Dunkin' Donuts. Its a pity they no longer exist in Singapore.

This celebration, of course, a far cry from what it's like now. I woke up bright and early (which is rare for me on a Sunday) and Mrs Premster, Devster and I headed to the temple to pray. We got home and my dear wife catered a lunch fit for a King. My in-laws came by and we all had lunch together. My mother-in-law made her famous traditional dessert - something which is to die for. We then got together to cut my birthday cake - a special blend of dark chocolate and banana cream. I'd have to say that was the best store-bought birthday cake I have ever had in my 38 years of existence.

After that, I was already pooped out. So, I took a nap. I got up and found it was already 7 pm. I decided that I didn't want the day to end just like that so on impulse, I took my lovely bride for a candle-lit dinner at a quiet restaurant. We had lamb chops and ice-cream with brownies for dessert. What I enjoyed the most was that quiet time with her - something which we haven't had for a long time.

Between the two, I'd have to say that I prefer the latter. It felt more meaningful to spend time with my family - "my family".... something I never thought I'd say when I was celebrating my birthday with my classmates at Pizza Hut.

I have to thank my uncle "K" for his call in the morning wishing me good health and good fortune, "JK" for her birthday e-card, "ER", "JC" and my best pal cum bro "W" for the text message greetings. Never thought you guys would remember! "W" promised a "wonderful gift". He shouldn't have troubled himself but I'm excited to see what it is anyway. *wink*

Most of all, I thank God for Mrs Premster, The Devster, Eddie and Casey for being a part of my birthday celebration and my life. I think that is the best gift I could ever have.

And what did my dear wife get me for my birthday? She got me an iPod Touch!

Hope you guys and gals had a fun-filled weekend too!

8 comments:

eshda3wa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PREM!
hope u live a long and healthy life!
always surrounded by love happiness and family!

Anonymous said...

HAPPPPY BIRTHDAAAAY PREM :D

ur right dude..the older we get the less of a deal we make....its maturity ;) ( or we try to convinence ourself its so lol)

may the rest of your life be fulled with wonderful suprises and joys

Shwaish said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PREM!! you dnt look a day over 50!! i know that doesnt count here since i dnt know how u look like but i've always wanted to say that to someone!!

happy birthday

The Premster said...

hi eshda3wa,

thank you for the lovely wishes!

for my birthday, i also wish to be always surrounded with the bloggers who have become good friends.

you know who you are. ;)

The Premster said...

hi ghasheema,

thank you for your wonderful wishes!

maturity... now that's a word i never thought i'd be associated with! oh well, it had to show up sometime, right? ;)

The Premster said...

hello your royal highness,

you're too "kind". ;)

funny story. today, while at our local tech-mall, i asked one of the shop owners, during a conversation, to guess how old i was. trying hard to be polite, he smiled and said "45!!"

so that should give you an inkling of how i look like. young at heart but looking old like a goat.

Danah said...

happy belated birthday prem!:)

The Premster said...

thank you very much, dandoon!!

hope you had a wonderful eid celebration!!