Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sticking It To Security

When we moved to our new home sometime last year, I insisted on an electronic security system which would automatically call a 24-hour hotline in the event there was a break-in, fire or even a mere power failure - in anticipation of a possible break-in where burglars cut the power to our apartment.

Truth be told, I've always loved the idea of a security system - something that will beep and, in a relatively robotic-sounding voice, announce the status of doors and windows in my home. "Sensor One, Front Door Open!" declares the security system in an authoritative tone when I come home. It makes me smile because in my gadget twisted mind, I feel like I'm living in a smart home.

This is aside from having our doors equipped with those modern, "enhanced" locks which do not have keys with edges / ridges but multiple indentations on either side. The fact of the matter is that these types of locks should be more than sufficient... or so I thought.

I came across this video which made me pat myself on the back for getting the added security.






Worrying, isn't it?

Moral of the story? Don't leave your keys unattended. You never know if that cute guy or gal sitting across from you at the candle-lit dinner table on your first date is tracing your keys when you excuse yourself.

And that concludes yet another edition of the Premster's public service announcement.

8 comments:

eshda3wa said...

oh my god!
i cant believe its THAT easy, im hanging my key around my neck from now on!!

The Premster said...

my initial thought was to remove all the locks and secure all entrances / windows via RFID scanning mechanisms and using RFID chip implants in my hand. access can be managed via computers and access can be granted via remote access, if necessary.

your idea is great too! ;)

phoenix said...

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer and your keys even closer!!!

Danah said...

good thing i never let anyone hold my keys:p

how've u been, prem?

Shwaish said...

wow!! i cnt believe its that easy either!!! i was showing it to a collegue and its like WAT R U TEACHING PEOPLE! UHH worrying indeed

The Premster said...

wise words, phoenix! very wise words! :)

The Premster said...

hi dandoon,

haven't seen you in these parts in a long while. i've been ok except extremely busy. and apologies for the late response to your comment.

how's everything in your world, dear friend?? hope all's well.

The Premster said...

hi princess,

don't shoot the messenger!! ;)

thought it was something useful to share with everyone - for protection and prevention, that is.

:)